Common Electrical Causes of Residential Fires

Prevent electrical fires in your home.Common Electrical Causes of Residential Fires

It’s no secret how devastating a home fire can be. This is why it’s vital that you take the necessary precautions to safeguard against a fire in your home. Some of the most common causes of residential fires are electrical issues. To keep your home safe, watch out for these common electrical causes of residential fires.

Faulty Appliances

One of the most common causes of electrical fires in homes is malfunctioning appliances. Oftentimes, this occurs inside or on the cords of older appliances. To mitigate this risk, inspect older appliances for issues such as frayed cords or loose receptacles. If you do not feel confident in an appliance’s safety, you should play things safe and just replace the appliance altogether.

Improper Installation of Light Bulbs

Another common cause of residential fires is the installation of high-wattage light bulbs in lamps and lighting fixtures that are not designed to handle this much power. To prevent this fire risk, make sure you check the specifications of your home’s lighting fixtures to ensure you are using the correct bulbs.

Misuse of Extension Cords

Finally, many residential fires originate from improperly used extension cords. For instance, many homeowners accidentally start fires by running extension cords under rugs or by plugging too many things into the cord at once. Ultimately, extensions cords are not a safe or permanent solution to your power needs. Rather than relying on extension cords, speak to an electrician about installing additional outlets in your home.

These are some of the common causes of residential electrical fires that you should be on the look out for. Want another way to keep your home safe? Make sure you have the right homeowners insurance protections in place. For assistance with your coverage needs, contact the experts at ISU-Wissink Insurance today.